Copyright is a form of intellectual property (IP) law that protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture.
Examples of copyright infringement include:
- Downloading movies and music without proper payment
- Recording movies in a theater
- Using others' photographs for a blog post without permission
- Copying software code with permission
- Creating videos with unlicensed music clips
- Copying books, blogs, or podcasts without permission
To avoid copyright infringement, at a minimum, avoid using anything that you did not create, even if there is no copyright symbol. Think about it this way – if there was an unlocked car parked on the street, you wouldn't take it, would you?